Okay, first things first..
What is a Bulletproof Coffee?
A Bulletproof Coffee is meant to be drunk in the morning as a breakfast meal replacement, which keeps you full for hours and programs your body to burn fat throughout the day.
It gets its now infamous name from a blog called www.bulletproofexec.com. And as the story goes, David Asprey (Mr. Bulletproof) first discovered this wonderful drink 18,000 feet up the side of a snowy mountain in Tibet.
You’re forgiven for thinking that sounds like a cheesy Bond film, but as far as I can tell, it’s true.
It’s also touted as the best way to increase your healthy fat intake if you are on a Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diet.
The benefits include optimized cognitive functions, higher levels of alertness and increased energy, all of which sound like really great things!
So that’s all well and good, but…
How do you make a Bulletproof Coffee?
I’m going to share with you two recipes for how to make a BPC, one of which is the official way from the Bulletproof Exec’s website, and the other is my own tweaked version to maximize my own enjoyment of the drink. Feel free to try both and let me know what you think!
Bulletproof Exec’s Recipe :
1. Brew 1 cup of coffee using filtered water, just off the boil, with 2 1/2 heaping tablespoons freshly ground coffee beans (French Press is easiest.)
2. Add in 1-2 tablespoons of MCT Oil to the hot coffee
3. Add 1-2 tablespoons grass-fed, unsalted butter or ghee
4. Mix it all in a blender for 20-30 seconds until it is frothy like a foamy latte
Next up is my own recipe. It’s quite different to the very simplified recipe above but I’ve made some tweaks along the way to make mine more of a Caffe Mocha which is a really great tasting way to start your day.
Purists will obviously balk at this idea, but for me, if I’m looking for a sustainable way to have this for breakfast then I’m going to make it suit me. Also, it may help some people to view this as a meal replacement, rather like how some people have meal replacement shakes, rather than it replacing your morning coffee.
The Bant Wagons Recipe :
1. Brew 1 cup of coffee, just off the boil, with 2 1/2 heaping tablespoons freshly ground Woza Coffee Beans (French Press is easiest.)
2. Add in 1-2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil to the hot coffee
3. Add in 1-2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (I use Kerrygold)
4. Add in 1-2 teaspoons Cocoa Powder
5. Add in 1 teaspoon Xylitol
6. Mix it all in a blender for 20-30 seconds until it is frothy like a foamy latte
Woza Coffee is the official supplier of both Ground Coffee & Coffee Beans to The Bant Wagon.
I have only recently begun to drink Bulletproof Coffees but I can absolutely attest to the fact that it does indeed keep you very full for a long time. On the first few days I started having it for breakfast around 8am, I would still be full come lunchtime at 1pm, so much so that I didn’t even end up having lunch the second day because I just felt SO full still.
Why not give it a try and see what you think. I’d love to hear from you if you have come up with a recipe for a delicious Bulletproof Coffee of your own, if I get a few recipes in I might even feature them in a future update to this article!
Write down your recipes in the comments section below!